1. You were threatened by your parents that you’ll end up sweeping the floor if you did not get good grades as a kid.
2. If you didn’t go to a private high school, you had to endure a single-sex high school.
3. You flirt in French but swear like a sailor in Creole when you are angry.
4. The first time you meet someone, you speak in French. Depending on the response, you will decide if the rest of the conversation is going to be in French or in Creole.
5. You know at least one Mauritian friend who did not know how to speak Creole because his parents forbade him to speak in that language.
6. It is difficult for you to stick to only one language when talking to someone. Chances are, you will be mixing some French, Creole and English words in there. Just like in this video:
7. You REALLY know how to dance the sega just like in this video:
Or you can just about manage it, like in the following video:
Or you simply suck at it just like the guy in this video:
8. Under whichever category you fall, you always tell yourself that foreigners don’t know how to “casse lerein” (Make their hips swing) when you see them dance.
9. If you don’t know how to make a rougaille, you’re not a true Mauritian.
9. You use “Ayo” and “fouf” to express annoyance or frustration.
10. Tea is very important. You drink it in the morning and it is essential to have a “tea break” around 3 pm or 4 pm.
11. You’ve been told your whole life that Rhum or l'eau de vie can cure a cold and other health issues…
12. When you meet another Mauritian and they ask you your last name and the place you live, you can be sure that they will do a background search on you.
13. You didn’t listen to sega when you were in Mauritius but you found yourself indulging in Cassiya when you were homesick, abroad. Cassiya’s video:
14. That instant bond you develop with another Mauritian abroad when you hear them speak in Creole.
15. You think you're an expert in all kinds of beer when in reality you've only ever had Phoenix beer. (Phoenix beer is one of the best beers in the world, nevertheless!)
Don’t forget to like and share if you've liked this post :)