Just look at that professional assembly.
Check out that sweet double patty action.
Servings: 3 double cheeseburgers
For the burgers:
- 1 pound chuck roll, cubed
- 2 slices smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
Optional: 1/2 lb beef suet. Erik recommends rendering beef suet in a hot skillet with garlic and thyme to cook the burgers in (as an alternative to oil).
For the sauce:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2.5 tablespoons ketchup
- 2.5 tablespoons pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the garnish:
- Potato rolls, lightly toasted
- Iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Onion, thinly sliced
- American cheese
- Dill pickle chips
1. In a medium bowl, combine cubed chuck roll, salt, black pepper, thyme, and sliced garlic. Stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate to cure overnight.
2. Prepare the sauce: in a small mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Whisk together. Refrigerate to bring flavors together.
3. Using a stand mixer fitted with meat grinder attachment, grind the cured meat, layering in pieces of chopped bacon throughout. (Ensure the meat and grinder attachments are very cold before grinding! Recommended that you place it in the freezer for a few minutes just before using.)
4. Lightly mix together the ground meat and then form into six, 3 ounce balls.
5. To a hot, oiled, cast iron skillet, over medium/high heat - add the balls and allow to cook slightly. Using two spatulas layered on top of one another, press down on the burger to form into thin patties. Continue to cook until the underside has browned and caramelized.
6. Flip the burgers and continue to cook until the second side just begins to brown. Top with cheese and remove from the skillet.
7. To assemble: Spread the burger sauce onto both halves of a toasted potato bun. On the bottom bun, layer lettuce, tomato, and a sprinkle of salt. Add one burger patty, thinly sliced onions, then the second burger patty. Place 4 pickles onto the top bun and place on top of the burger.
Here's the video: